Wednesday, 8 September 2010

Logan's First Day of Pre-School

Well, today is the day. Terry and I will be taking Logan to pre-school in a few short hours. I'll be sorta live blogging the whole experience on this post throughout the day, so check back often if you want to catch up on the whole story.


5:20 a.m. - It's the first day of school, so of course Lane has to wake up early and be wide awake. I take her downstairs because I can't sleep anyway - too nervous.

Can you believe the little boy we took home from the hospital 3 and a half years ago is old enough to be going to school today?

6:00 a.m. - I'm writing this post and thinking about my smart, creative little boy and the future. He'll be doing this school thing for another 18 or so years (because he's going to college or university dammit!)

Lane just fell back to sleep, so I'll be laying down with her and waking Logan up at 7:30 a.m. We'll get ready for the first day of school and walk him there - and then leave him there *cry*

My mantra today - Don't let my social anxiety ruin this very special day for my sweet little boy.
- I will not cry in front of him
- I will not show my nervousness for him - he's not terrified of new and social things, that's my bag
- I will make this day special and exciting for him

I'll be back later to post more as the day continues...

Update 8:00 a.m. - Logan is up and dressed and has eaten breakfast. He's sitting on the couch watching Bo On The Go and drinking some juice. There was a little bit of stress about being able to open his Cheese String at snack time. I put it in a bowl with an easy to open lid to calm his nerves. I also told him that his teacher would be able to open it. :)

Teeth brushing and then we'll be heading out. *nervous and excited*

Update 9:30 a.m. - We walked to school. See how happy Logan is to go to school? He's skipping with his dad. Once we got there, he put his sweater on the hook that said his name and changed into his school shoes. Then he took off to play. We did some administration stuff, like dropping off money and signing Logan into the classroom.

I came over to tell Logan that mommy, daddy and Lane were going to go home and pick him up at lunch time. He just said, "OK bye bye mommy," and then back to playing. I explained that he should listen to his teacher (or else he'd play all day!) and then left.

Once we were in the parking lot, Terry told me I could cry. I shed a few tears, but honestly the whole thing wasn't as bad as I thought. Logan is hard to gauge sometimes. He's a supreme worrier, so we thought this might be a difficult transition, but it went rather smoothly. There were a lot more moms that were a lot more stressed out than I was (although I was hiding it pretty well I think). And there were a lot of kids that were having more trouble with letting go than Logan was.

I guess we'll see when we go to pick him up. Is it 11:30 yet?

Update 1:00 p.m. - It's over and it wasn't as bad as I had dreamed it might be. Logan was waiting patiently for us when we arrived at 11:30 to pick him up.

He talked about all the things he got to do:
- teacher told him a story about a puppy that did not want to go to school
- he had a trip to the bathroom
- he ate a jam sandwich and 2 cookies (one Oreo and one chocolate chip)
- the teacher sang Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
- he played at the water table
- he put his shoes on all by himself
- another kid helped him put on his sweater

As we walked home, he told us all about his day. He said, "I get to go to school everyday!" and he sounded genuinely happy with that. :)

We surprised him with a trip to McDonald's for lunch. Here he is telling me that he's a big boy now because he's 3 years old.

He talked about his first day of school all the way through lunch. He's a little bit hyper and overstimulated, but at least he's happy. Terry took the kids to the park to run around and expel some of his energy while I have a rest. It's been a more stressful day for mommy than it was for Logan. I just need to unclench and relax a bit hehehe.

And we get to do it all over again tomorrow! Weeeeee!


Jen said...

Good luck! I'm sure you'll both do great!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you both did great today.

Anita said...

I can't believe he's going to school either. What a big boy! Glad he had such a wonderful day. Don't you love hearing their stories about what they did at school? Nummy snacks too, lucky boy. :)