Sunday, January 31, 2010
Many of my readers know that I was born with a heart defect called Tetralogy of Fallot. When I was 3 years old, I had open heart surgery and went into complete heart block. I need a pacemaker now to keep my heart beating. Thanks to the support of my parents, family and friends and the work of the wonderful doctors in Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg, I am happy and healthy today at 33. And yes, I have 2 children!
I have no doubt in my mind that the research and advocacy of the Canadian Heart and Stoke Foundation has played a big role in the betterment of my life and the lives of others like me.
So now it's time to use my talents to give back. I have come up with Project Upcycle for Heart and Stroke to coincide with Heart Month here in Canada.
- for each day in February (or as many as I can possibly handle) I will take something and "upcycle" it into something else. Afterall, I am sort of upcylced myself aren't I? Made of a few spare parts here and there. Many of my fellow heart patients understand what I'm talking about. Many have pacemakers, shunts, new valves, even whole new hearts!
- I will put my new creation up for sale in my Etsy shop (Tawny Bee)
- Half the proceeds (minus shipping) of each product will be donated to the Heart and Stoke Foundation
- I will post a play by play of my creations on this blog and my Facebook Fanpage, so check back often!
So you might see a pair of pants turned into a lovely skirt. You might see a t-shirt turned into baby clothes. Who knows? The possibilities are endless since I'm putting my - pardon the pun - heart into it!
How do participate you might ask?
- you can purchase one of my creations and have half the proceeds donated to Heart and Stoke research
- you can post this blog post or any others onto your blog, Facebook, Twitter etc.
- You can take the little icon I've made at the top of this page and post it wherever you like to get more people involved.
- You can direct others to purchase items
- You can try out this challenge for yourself. Make 1 or 28 upcycled projects, post them for sale and donate some proceeds to Heart and Stroke
- Go directly to the donate page of the Heart and Stroke Foundation and make a donation
If you do any of the above, I would love for you to post in the comments to let me know! I need all the encouragement I can get. This is a huge untertaking for me.
And of course, here are some links that may be useful as we get going:
The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada
The donate page for the Manitoba chapter of the Heart and Stroke Foundation
Tawny Bee on Etsy - also along the sidebar of this blog
The Tawny Bee Fanpage on Facebook - also along the sidebar of this blog
To start things off for tomorrow February 1st I will be making something out of these materials:
A bunch of old baby socks, some Gladware lids, a baby bottle top, some old pacifiers that the kids have grown out of, some ribbon I got from a Christmas present... What could I possibly make out of all of this? Stay tuned tomorrow to find out....